Thursday, December 18, 2008

Coconut Water - A Holiday Fave!




Telegraph.co.uk

What do fashion designers wear at Christmas?
Three stylish women tell Malika Dalamal of their plans to glam it up at this year’s festivities ...

Here, we meet three stylish women who talk us through their upscale festive itineraries and what they believe are the secrets of memorable seasonal celebrations. They reveal their party wardrobes for Christmas Day and New Year's Eve, which add glamour but not too much sheen. Take your pick from their favourite pieces and you will find something you love, whether you are spending Christmas Day in Blighty or further afield, in warmer and more exotic climes.

DANIELLA HELAYEL, Fashion designer of Issa

What parties are you excited to attend this holiday season?

My friend Jorge Elias – the fabulous architect – is throwing a party in Brazil before Christmas, where there will be lots of amazing singers performing. Christmas evening will be at a friend's house at the Amanpuri Hotel in Phuket, Thailand, and then on New Year's Eve I will be at a party in Shanghai.

What will you wear?

On Christmas evening I'll be wearing a bronze sequin cape dress, my fail-safe party dress by Issa, with a Corto Moltedo clutch and a pair of Charlotte Olympia leopard-print heels. I'm not sure about New Year's Eve yet, but definitely something glamorous.

After all that travelling and all those parties, how will you cure your hangover?

Lots of water and coconut water, if I can get hold of it. It is really rehydrating.

MELISSA ODABASH, Swimwear and fashion designer

You are spending the holidays in Miami. Does that mean Christmas on the beach?

Yes, I'm definitely a beach bum at heart, so I'll be spend Christmas Day wearing one of my kaftans and either a white string bikini or a Sixties crochet style from my collection, and probably a pair of Havaiana sandals – I have them in every colour.

And in the evening?

On Christmas Eve I'll be at my mother's house and she likes us to dress up, so I'll wear a cocktail dress from my dress collection – probably a sleeveless lace style, which is both conservative but also cool enough for the weather, and a pair of slingback Jimmy Choos.

What about New Year's Eve?

I'll be at a party at the Shore Club on South Beach wearing a beachy, short and probably sequinned dress – something to fit in with that tacky Miami look!

What is your pre-party routine?

When I'm in London I like to put on the music and start with a bath to get the chill out of my bones. I love Ren Body oil and products that remind me of the beach, such as Biotherm Sunfitness Gel and Bobbi Brown's beach range.

NADIA TASEER, Owner of vintage store Nadia's Closet

What is the formula for a great party?

A good mix of people, a calm host or hostess, good lighting (everyone looks better in candlelight), music loud enough to get everyone in the mood but not too loud that you can't hear anything and, most importantly, a never-ending supply of cocktails.

What is the best soirée you have attended recently?

My late grandfather's film was screened at the New York Film Festival this summer. It was hosted by Martin Scorsese and the gala dinner was held in the ballroom of a Park Avenue hotel, with champagne fountains, a jazz band and celebrities everywhere. It was so glamorous and well organised.

What did you wear?

I went for an old Hollywood glamour look, so I wore a vintage Thirties floor-length lamé gown with a pair of Art Deco Swarovski crystal earrings and a matching cuff from my vintage collection. And I took a vintage-looking Anya Hindmarch gold-and-black striped box clutch and Balenciaga shoes, which were comfortable enough to dance all night in.

What is your favourite vintage discovery?

A pair of boots that I found at the Hammersmith vintage fair while I was sourcing for Nadia's Closet (nadiascloset.co.uk). They are brown, knee-high, with a fur trim and have a kind of Seventies feel to them. I'm going to wear them on Christmas Day with a white crochet dress I found in Sweden. They are really comfortable and my vintage alternative to Ugg boots.

No comments: