Friday, August 20, 2010

No More Perma-Sore!

No More Perma-Sore!

I've been a figure skater for 24 of my almost 42 years -- I started when I was 9, quit when I was 16 and started again at 25. I currently compete against other adults and am the reigning U.S. adult national bronze medalist in the Championship Intermediate-Novice Ladies division. For most of the adult portion of my skating career, I've suffered from what a call "perma-sore" -- I just don't recover from muscle fatigue and soreness the way I did in my teens, and it was a rare occasion when no body part was in pain.

Up until a few months ago, my drink of choice while on the ice had been plain ol' water. It did the job it was intended to do, which was basically to quench my thirst. Then one day, a friend mentioned on Twitter something about coconut water and exercise. Curious, I asked her what coconut water was, and from that point on I was Googling articles about coconut water and researching all the brands. Each touted more potassium than a banana and more electrolytes/less sugar (none) than a sports drink, and so began my mission to find this magic elixir.

I tried 'em all, and my absolute favorite is O.N.E. (One Natural Experience) with a Splash of Pink Guava. But it's not just because of the awesome taste, it's because I don't suffer from "perma-sore" anymore. In fact, I don't suffer from any "sore" anymore! I don't know if it's the potassium or the electrolytes -- it could be little elves, for all I care -- but ever since I incorporated O.N.E. coconut water into my skating regimen, I am pain-free.

I guess this is the part when I'm supposed to say "individual results may vary." But, hey, it works for me, and if it doesn't work for you, the worst that will happen is you drank something yummy and good for you. I just wish I'd found it sooner -- might have saved me several trips to the chiropractor!

Julie Gidlow
Beverly Hills, CA

No comments: